All dependants may be registered onto a medical aid from which a new member is enrolled or from a later date.
A child who is not self supporting and who is a dependent on his family for care and financial support.
Examples of dependants:
- Spouse / partner
- Father / mother
- Brother / sister
- Newborn of a member
Other children: ( Legal documentation must be submitted with the registration of the following children ).
- A grandchild adopted by grandparents as a foster child in safe care
- Adopting of a child, being placed in foster care
- Foster child
- Child temporary in safe care
WHO MAY NOT BE REGISTERED AS A DEPENDANT?
- Step grandchildren
- Step parents
- Stepbrothers and stepsisters who are not children of the member
- Children under guardianship
THE REGISTRATION PROCESS
There is certain forms to be completed to get the process in place:
- Registration of child dependant
- Registration of dependant
- Registration of new-born baby
- Birth certificates or a copy of id document must accompany these forms
- Marriage certificates ( on request only )
These documentation must be submitted to the medical schemes for processing.
WAITING PERIODS AND LATE JOINER PENALTIES
In case of a new-born baby, during an existing membership, no waiting periods will apply.
But with other cases with the registration of children the following may apply:
- 3 Month general waiting period
- 12 Month condition specific waiting period
- Remainder of any waiting periods will be applied by the next medical scheme