The Council for Medical Schemes CMS has published information about rehabilitation benefits to which beneficiaries are entitled.
The CMS has published another edition of CmScript in which the PMB entitlements of beneficiaries in respect of rehabilitation are explored. The following PMB conditions are amongst those identified, that might necessitate physical rehabilitation:
- Brain disorders and injuries such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, intracranial haemorrhage (bleeding);
- Chronic pain caused by cancer or any other condition;
- Major bone and joint surgery necessitated by fractures, trauma or limb amputation;
- Severe rheumatoid arthritis;
- Severe weakness after recovering from a serious illness, e.g. heart attacks, respiratory failure or infections;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Major trauma after an accident such as a motor vehicle accident;
- Difficulty in breathing, eating, swallowing, bowel or bladder control due to non-progressive neurological (including spinal) condition or injury.
Physical rehabilitation includes physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, nursing and psychology and services rendered by social workers.
For further information, this edition of CmScript can be accessed at: